It is that time of year again, when we are all very busy trying to complete our holiday decorating, baking, and gift shopping before the “big day” arrives. So we have no enough energy to make meals. This pasta with turkey ragu cooked in a slow cooker will help you survive these hectic days.
Ingredients of Making Pasta with Turkey Ragu
2 turkey thighs (about 2 pounds),
1 pound pasta preferred,
2 tbsp olive oil,
2 carrots (finely diced),
1 celery stalk (finely diced),
1/2 medium onion (peeled, finely diced),
4 garlic peeled cloves (minced),
3/4 cup red wine,
28 ounce chopped tomatoes,
1/4 cup tomato paste,
1 cup water,
1 tsp dried oregano,
1/3 cup fresh parsley (finely chopped),
1/4 cup fresh basil (finely chopped),
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes,
right amount of salt & pepper
Directions for Making Pasta with Turkey Ragu
1. Remove the skin of the turkey thighs to trim off their fat. Cut into small pieces.
2. Heat oil and fry the turkey brown evenly in a skillet, about 8 mins. Remove and place in the slow cooker.
3. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in the skillet, stirring often. Cook till soft and lightly brown, about 8 mins. Add wine and reduce to less than half over high heat.
4. Put the mixture in Step 3 along with the tomatoes, paste, water, and seasonings in the slow cooker; stir well and turn the slow cooker on low for 8 hours (no lid covering in the last hour).
5. Cook the pasta in a pot with lightly salted water; drain and toss it with a large scoop sauce; when serving, add another scoop sauce on top.
1. You can use ground turkey, a turkey leg, or even chicken in place of turkey for the sauce.
2. Any pasta shape would work with this sauce.
3. It can be served with cheese.
4. 8-hour cooking gives it more intensity in taste.