Wonton is a well-known delicate Chinese food for its various kinds of fillings (by your own choice) and ways to eat (in soup or fried). Wonton will always bring you delicious taste.
Ingredients of Wonton Soup
For wonton wrapper:
2 cups all-purpose flour,
1 egg, 1tsp salt,
1/3 to 1/2 cup water (as needed),
1/2 cup extra flour
150g ground pork/shrimp,
1tsp minced garlic,
3tbsp soy sauce,
1tsp sesame oil
5-6 ginger slices,
2tbsp soy sauce,
1 1/2tsp sugar,
2tsp rice vinegar,
1tsp salt (to taste),
1/4 cup minced caraway & scallion (or minced greens)
How to Do Wonton Soup
A. Make wonton wrapper
1. Break egg and beat lightly with salt; add 1/4 cup water. In a bowl, mix the egg-water and flour well. (Add more water if necessary.)
2. Knead the dough 5 mins; cover with a damp cloth and let sit for 30 mins.
3. Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface; roll out until very thin (a little translucent) and cut into 3-inch squares.
4. Dust a thick layer of flour on each wrapper; stack on top of each other and cover with plastic wrap to keep moisture until ready to use.
B. Make Broth
Combine the ingredients for broth except for the minced caraway & scallion and boil until the salt and sugar dissolved and ginger infused into the broth completely; taste and add more salt if desired; set aside and keep hot.
C. Make wonton
1. Mix the ingredients for fillings well.
2. Spoon about 1/2tbsp filling on the wrapper and fold. Make sure edges are secured.
3. Bring a pot of water to a boil; gently lower wontons in boiling water and cook about 2-3 mins if they are not frozen, longer if they are.
4. Remove wontons and place them into the hot broth. Ladle a few into a bowl and sprinkle some minced caraway and scallion and enjoy.
Tips: How to Fold a Wonton
1. Place 1 tsp filling onto the center of a wonton wrapper.
2. Using a cooking brush or your finger, wet the top and two sides of the wrapper with water.
3. Fold bottom edge over the top of the filling.
4. Seal edges by pressing down on all sides, carefully removing any air from the filling.
5. Fold the top sealed edge back slightly over the filling.
6. Pull the two corners opposite the folded top around towards each other.
7. Wet the corners so they stick.
8. Pinch corners together.
9. Presto! Repeat.