This pudding recipe is popular all over India but made especially well by the Parsis, Mangaloreans (both from Western India) and the Anglo-Indians. It can be steamed in a pressure cooker or baked in the oven.
Ingredients of Caramel Pudding Dessert
• 1 Egg
• 1 cup milk
• 2 tbsps sugar
• A few drops of vanilla essence
How to Cook Caramel Pudding Dessert
•In a baking pan that fits into the cooker sprinkle 5-6 teaspoons of sugar. Hold it over a small flame until the sugar starts to caramelize.
• Then spread the caramel evenly over the dish so that it covers the entire base of the dish. Remove and keep aside to cool. Boil the milk in a pan and set aside till it cools to room temp.
• Take a wide mixing bowl and beat the egg using an electric hand mixer until it gets foamy. Then blend in the sugar and beat it once more.
• Add the cooled milk slowly to the mixture and blend well. Add a few drops of vanilla essence to the mixture and blend again.
• Now pour this mixture into the baking dish on the cooled caramel layer.
• Pour 2 inches of water into the cooker and place the dish into it. Steam it for a good 15 minutes on low flame with the weight on.
• Once it is done remove the dish and set aside for cooling. Place it in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
• Before serving cut the entire edge of the pudding along the sides using a knife in order to loosen it.
• Then cover the dish with an upturned plate and overturn the dish so that the pudding slides on to the plate.
• Cut and serve.