This is a basic, popular version of fried green tomatoes, made simply with a lightly seasoned cornmeal coating. Also, it is a wonderful recipe, especially when one has a copy of the movie fried green tomatoes—watching it with family while eating!
Ingredients of Fried Green Tomatoes
2 unripe green tomatoes; some flour (1/2 cup or so)
some fine-ground cornmeal (1/2 cup or so)
lots of ground pepper (2 tbsp or to your taste)
2 eggs, beaten; corn or canola oil; Salt; Tabasco
Directions of Making Fried Green Tomatoes
1. Put flour and cornmeal in one bowl and mix in pepper.
2. Beat eggs in another bowl.
3. Heat oil (maybe 1/2 inch deep) in frying pan.
4. Slice tomatoes. About 1/8 inch thick
5. Dip tomato slice in beaten egg and cover both sides.
6. Dredge egg-covered tomato slice in flour/cornmeal/pepper mix until coated.
7. Place in pan with oil.
8. Keep going with the rest of the tomato slices.
9. After about 5 or 10 minutes, turn over tomato slices and let the other side fry.
10. Turn over again in another 5 minutes.
11. After 2 minutes or so, transfer fried tomato slices to a plate lined with paper towels and let them drain for a few minutes.
12. Sprinkle with salt and/or Tabasco to your taste.